1. What are your designated chores in your home?
If it’s inside it’s mine. Outside, it’s Gary’s. The kids help out with whatever is assigned to them.
2. What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?
Mopping. Cleaning the shower. Putting clothes away.
3. What was your designated chore growing up?
I remember vacuuming, doing dishes, and cleaning my bathroom.
4. Did you get paid to do chores or was your allowance connected to you completing your chores?
Not that I recall. If we needed cash for something, my parents gave it to us. I got my first job at 15 so I had some of my own money.
5. If you had a bit of extra money, would you hire a cleaning person or would you save the money for something else?
I have had a cleaning lady before and I loved it. LOVED it. If I could get my house in order enough to have someone come again, I would. I once hired one of the more expensive professional companies to come clean and they didn’t do near as good as job as the individual.
6. What chores will you make your kids do around the house?
They empty the dishwasher, take care of folding and putting away their own clothes, cleaning their rooms, and cleaning their bathroom. If we have company coming, they get additional chores just to lighten the load and get it all done quicker. SuperGirl thinks using the Swiffer on the floors is fun. And cleaning the toilet usually causes a riot in my home – as in, who GETS to do it. My kids are weird.
7. How frequently do you do laundry? Wash your sheets? Dust?
We “manage the laundry monster.” If someone is out of underwear, we wash. I try to do a load a day but there are just some days that that can’t happen and there is nothing worse than leaving clothes in the washing machine to stink or in the dryer to wrinkle. It happens, though. We wash the sheets as needed. And dusting… well, when the kids start writing their names in the dust, I know it’s time.
8. Do you have a designated “chore day” during the week?
I would LOVE for Saturday morning or Friday afternoon to be our designated time. That way I can enjoy a clean house over the weekend. We are just so busy that this doesn’t happen all the time. But when it does… yay!
9. What is your favorite chore–if such a thing exists?
I totally enjoy washing the dishes. For real. For Christmas, I asked for a new sink. I find it relaxing and it is a job that has a definite end to it. Dishes in the dishwasher, counter fresh and clean, everything dry, lights out. Done. Waking up to dishes in the sink makes me crazy.
10. Do you do anything to help pass the time while doing chores (music, TV, etc.)?
We always have “motivational music.” I learned that term from a dear college friend. Our motivational music styles range from Chris Tomlin to the 80’s channel to Skillet to Broadway musicals. We run the gamut. Keeps it fresh, I guess.